BEFORE YOUR MORPHEUS APPOINTMENT
We are excited about your upcoming Morpheus8 treatment at Mira Spa + Salon. Before your appointment, we wanted to share some Pre-Treatment Instructions to ensure you have the best experience and prepare your skin for optimal results.
Before Your Appointment
Please let your providers know before treatment if you have any of the following conditions that may make you unsuitable for MORPHEUS8 treatments:
- Pregnancy or nursing.
- Under 18 years of age.
- Pacemaker or internal defibrillator or any electronic implant such as glucose monitor.
- Permanent implant in the treated area such as metal plates and screws, silicone implants or an injected chemical substance.
- Current or history of cancer, especially skin cancer or pre-malignant moles.
- Impaired immune system due to immunosuppressive diseases such as AIDS and HIV, or use of immunosuppressive medications.
- Severe concurrent conditions such as cardiac disorders, epilepsy, uncontrolled hypertension, and liver or kidney diseases.
- A history of diseases stimulated by heat, such as recurrent Herpes Simplex in the treatment area.
- Any active condition in the treatment area, such as sores, psoriasis, eczema, rash, and excessively/freshly tanned skin.
- History of skin disorders such as keloid scarring, abnormal wound healing, and very dry and fragile skin.
- Any medical condition that might impair skin healing.
- Poorly controlled endocrine disorders, such as diabetes or thyroid dysfunction.
- Any surgical, invasive, ablative procedure in the treatment area in the last 3 months or before complete healing.
- Superficial injection of biological fillers in the last 6 months or Botox in the last 2 weeks.
- Use of Isotretinoin (AccutaneÒ) within 6 months before treatment.
- The possible side effects of the treatment including: local pain, skin redness (erythema), swelling (edema), damage to the natural skin texture (crust, blister, burn), change of skin pigmentation (hyper- or hypo-pigmentation), and scarring. Although these effects are rare and expected to be temporary, redness and swelling may last up to 3 weeks, and are part of a normal reaction to the treatment. Burns and resulting pigmentation change and scarring are rare and may happen in dark skin that is not taken care of according to instructions. Tiny scabs appear on the face for a few days as part of a normal healing, however, make-up may be applied as soon as 1-3 days after the session to mask them and residual redness. Any adverse reaction should be reported immediately.
Pre-Treatment Instructions just for you
SIX MONTHS BEFORE
- IF YOU ARE TAKING Accutane (isotretinoin), Morpheus8 treatment may be performed six months AFTER medication is completed.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE
- AVOID any type of tanning from the sun, tanning beds, and tanning creams/sprays. If you must be in the sun, use a zinc oxide sunscreen of at least SPF 30. A treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- AVOID waxing, laser hair removal, laser therapy, and cosmetic fillers.
- AVOID professional peels or microdermabrasion for 2 weeks before and after your appointment.
ONE WEEK BEFORE
- STOP TAKING NSAID medicines such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen since they interfere with normal blood clotting. Check medication labels for the active ingredient.
THREE DAYS BEFORE
- DISCONTINUE any irritant type topical products or treatments such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula), scrubs or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare.
24 HOURS BEFORE
- AVOID drinking any alcohol. This will help reduce the skin’s sensitivity.
- DRINK 8-10 glasses of water daily to keep your skin hydrated.
DAY OF TREATMENT
- Shower as usual.
- Do not apply any lotion, powder, oils or other products to treatment areas.
- If face/neck being treated: cleanse your face/neck and do not apply makeup. If you have long hair bring a hair band to pull it back.
- You will numb for 60 minutes before the procedure.
- Your procedure will last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the areas treated.
- You are welcome to bring entertainment: a phone, tablet, and/or earphones to listen to during the procedure.
- As this procedure is performed with topical anesthesia, you may drive to and from our center.
- Once the treatment is complete, we will apply a topical moisturizer.
Post care treatment
- CLEAN – Use a soothing cleanser or face wash with lukewarm water to cleanse the face and gently pat dry the treated skin until it heals. Always make sure that your hands are clean when touching the treated area.
- HYDRATE – Use a gentle moisturizer or healing ointment on the treatment area until the skin heals.
- MAKEUP – Can be applied 2 days after the treatment. Clean makeup brushes before using.
- PROTECT – At 24 hours after the procedure, you should apply a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with a SPF30, AT ALL TIMES when you are outside. Use a physical sunscreen (Zinc/Titanium Dioxide) daily. Do not use chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate).
- REAPPLY often →In addition to reducing your future risk of skin cancer, sunscreens also reduce wrinkles and slow the aging process.
What to Expect
- Minimal pinkness/redness may last for up to 1 week.
- Superficial bruising may occur, typically around the eyes.
- Small needle marks may be present for a few days to a week post-procedure.
What to Avoid
To ensure the proper healing environment, be certain to observe the following:
- For at least 48 hours post-treatment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula), or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare.
- Avoid intentional and direct sunlight for at least 24 hours. No tanning beds.
- Do not go swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- No exercising or strenuous activity for the first 24 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, rife with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and high-heat environments for the first 24 hours.
- Follow-up 3-5 weeks after each treatment.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our team at (703)318-3223.